- Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (YST): Anubis or technically Anubisu (悪奴弥守)
Often the u is left out when written in Romanji, and the u is silent when the name is spoken. I personally prefer writing it as Anubisu to avoid confusion with the Ronin Warrior character Anubis.
- Ronin Warriors (RW): Cale
- French Dub (Les Samouraïs de l’Eternel): Obscuror
- Italian Dub (I Cinque Samurai): Kratos
- Spanish Dub (Los Cinco Samurais): Kronos
Birth Name (Last name listed first): Sasaki, Kujuurou
- YST: Yami Mashou (闇魔将) – Translation: Darkness Demon General
- RW: Dark Warlord of Corruption and Decay, Demon of Darkness
Note: Often the “and Decay” is left out of the first title.
Hair Color / Eye Color: Blue / Blue-green
Other Physical Note: Cross shaped scar on left side of face. Top line of scar extends above eye.
Birth Date: December 3rd, 1550 (Year of the metal dog)
Confirmed by official YST website.
Back when he was born the area was known as Mutsu province. – Source: YST Encyclopedia aka Daijiten. (Note: Mutsu means “interior land.”)
A province in the northernmost area of Honshu. It’s famous for its apples and severe winters. (Mutsu apples are named in honor of this province.)
Kujuurou was born into a low-ranking samurai family in Ou1. Originally, he came from a family of samurai who played a role in the defeat of Ezo2. However, he was a samurai in name only, and grew up in a harsh environment where he had to work the land like a farmer to survive. The sight of his father and mother fighting against the harsh climate fostered a filial (respectful) heart in Kujuurou. However, warfare was raging in the Ou region, and he had to go to war to defend his territory. On the battlefield against the Date army, Kujuurou clings to life with a blade that pierces him. The end of his short, unhappy life is a source of bitterness. He is trapped in by Talpa/Arago because of his strong thoughts. He is a man of integrity who is willing to serve those he respects, even to the point of resigning his own life. He also has the courage to stand up for those he needs to protect, even in dangerous places.
Kujuurou is the most rugged and single-minded of the Mashou. He is a man with the qualities to become a great warrior if he had been born elsewhere / under better circumstances.
- Ou is a place that’s located in Tohoku, Japan. Basically, look at a map of Japan. See the floaty island part at the top? Look below at the land that comes next. The upper portion of that is where Tohoku is. In there is where Ou is located.
- To explain a bit, and this is a VERY short and simple explanation, according to google, here goes. Ezo was a location. Way back in the 1860’s of Japan, some dudes banded together to try and form what was basically the beginnings of a Samurai Democracy. Long version short, it didn’t last for very long. However, that’s it’s claim to fame. Even though all of this happened way after Kujuurou was born.
(Translation and explanations by Dawn Sanada of the URWWS from page 173 of Memorials, book 2.)
Physical Age: Somewhere between the age of 12 to 15 when he became a Dark Warlord/Mashou. So between 16 to 19 during the TV series.
(Became a Dark Warlord/Mashou between 1563-1565. He’d be 12 at the youngest if he joined before his birthday.)
1 year in the Netherworld/Youjakai = 100 Earth years.
Height / Weight: 170 cm (about 5.58 feet) / 63 kg (about 138.89 lbs)
Blood Type: O
Likes: Surprising or scaring people (Not sure if it’s one or the other or both.)
Dislikes: Bright places
Season He Represents: Winter
- YST: Yami – Translates to Darkness. Armor also called the Black Jackal Armor?
- RW Armor Name: Corruption?? or Darkness??
Armor names aren’t really mentioned in the series. Personally I prefer Darkness.
Armor Color: Brown with some black parts, cape with red on the outside and black inside.
Subarmor is in dual red colors.
- 3 bladed Tekko-kagi.
A ninja weapon which is on the back of the left hand of the armor. Scroll to the bottom of this page to see a real life image of it.
A long field sword primarily used on horseback. These weapons are large and heavy and take a lot of room to swing around.
- In YST the sword is called Kokuroken
- In RW the sword is called the Sword of Darkness
- YST: Ankoku Cho Uhigiri ?
- RW: Black Lightning Slash
- Other RW Attacks:
- Bring the Dead to Life
Used it to bring frozen deer back to life and follow his command.
- Sword of Darkness Destroy
Used it to slice into the large stone Kento was trapped in and working its way to pierce his heart.
- World of Darkness, bestow the cold kiss of death on this land/man
Used to freeze an area, plants and animals, solid. Unfortunately I can’t quite make out the last part of this cry due to the echo.
- Bring the Dead to Life
- Absorbing light and using it for power.
- Creating complete darkness indoors.
- Creating blinding snowstorms outdoors.
- Creating confusing illusions in total darkness which include multiples of himself and ghostly illusions.
- Very skilled in teleportation. Able to move place to place in the blink of an eye. (Talpa seems to take advantage of this as he tells him “Quickly Cale!” when moving to return Anubis to the Netherworld.)
- Freezing flowing water, plant life, animal life, and flesh solid.
- Reformed he could use his powers to be the eyes of people who are lost in darkness, fight enemies that hide in the dark, battle evil spirits, and would determinedly fight to protect people.
Kanji Symbol or Essence of Humanity:
- YST: Filial reverence or Filial piety (Kou)
- RW: Obedience
- YST: Yasunori Matsumoto – Picture 1 | Picture 2