- Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (YST): Kayura (迦遊羅)
- Ronin Warriors (RW): Kayura, Lady Kayura
- French Dub (Les Samouraïs de l’Eternel): Kayura
- Italian Dub (I cinque samurai): Lady Kayura
- Spanish Dub (Los Cinco Samurais): Lady Kayura
Birth Name (Last name listed first): Kayura
No family name can be found for Kayura. Perhaps her clan only uses first names? (Note: personal speculation)
Hair Color / Eye Color: Deep blue / Deep blue
Other Physical Notes:
- Red makeup accents around her eyes when she’s evil.
- Hair is often tied up in a ponytail with a red tie. It’s only down when she wears her robes.
Birth Date: December 12, 1559 (Year of the earth goat?)
Confirmed by official YST website.
Birthplace: Nara Province
Back when she was born the area was known as Yamato province. – Source: YST Encyclopedia aka Daijiten.
One of the oldest regions in Japan. Many of Japan’s early palaces were built here.
Physical Age: 8 (When kidnapped around 1567), 12 (By the time of the TV series)
Over 400 years have passed since Kayura’s kidnapping. 1 year in the Netherworld/Youjakai = 100 Earth years.
Height / Weight: 158 cm (about 5 feet 2 inches) / 44 kg (about 97 lbs)
Blood Type: A
Likes: Ancient Japanese Dance
Season She Represents: Spring (via showing swaying wisteria)
One of the few characters that we know their history. Kayura apparently had an innate talent for the power and abilities of her clan. She was to become The Ancient One’s/Kaos’ successor. When Talpa/Arago discovered this, he was afraid of what she would become. So he kidnapped her, killed her family and destroyed her clan. (To the point there ended up only being two descendants of it, Kayura and Suzunagi [see Message OVA].)
Talpa/Arago then used an amulet to control Kayura and seal up her memories. In the flashbacks you can see that Badamon also helped to suppress Kayura, probably when she unconsciously fought against their control. Kayura was then trained and her natural talents were used to help Talpa/Arago. Using Kayura’s power against the mortal world very much delighted Talpa/Arago.
When Kayura’s amulet was first scratched by White Blaze/Byakuen, the magic controlling her seemed to weaken a bit. Kayura began to question why she was serving Talpa/Arago and what she was taught. She even sensed the danger Ryo and Rowen/Touma were in and began to cry. However Badamon then utilized his magic and that of the other spirits to create magical dust to control Ryo close to Kayura’s chambers. The residual magic seemed to put Kayura under full control again. The spell isn’t broken until the Amulet is broken off by Ryo’s attack. Kayura then begins to gradually regain her memories, starting from her childhood with her parents. Badamon then forcefully possesses Kayura, taking complete control of her. (In the Japanese version Kayura is crying and saying, “Mother. Father.” when she is forcefully controlled.) Finally Kayura is permanently freed from Talpa’s/Arago’s control by removing her possession by Badamon. Kayura determinedly takes up the staff/shakujo and goes to fight Talpa/Arago alone.
- Kayura starts out with armor that is on her feet and lower legs including knees, waist, upper chest and upper back, left shoulder, and left upper arm. She also has a holster for her swords on her upper back.
- Chest piece and shoulder is light brown. Upper arm piece and swords holster are gold. The rest of her armor is a dark brown.
- Armor glows purple.
- She also wears a large gold colored amulet on her chest. This amulet aids Talpa/Arago in controlling Kayura.
Armor Name: (She received the armor near the end of the TV series.)
- YST: Oni
The name of a type of demon from Japanese mythology.
- RW Armor Name: Cruelty or Ogre?
Armor names aren’t really mentioned in the series, although we have the following excerpt:
Anubis, “The helmet from my Armor of Cruelty. Ancient. Are you telling me to fight again? If this is what you ask of me, then I shall become the Ogre once more.”
Armor Color: Dark gray and blue, with a brown and gold jacket over it.
Subarmor is in a dual blue color.
- Twin Jitte – These hang upside down on her back. They start out short, but when drawn the blades magically extend to full size.
- In YST they are referred to as Sei Rei Ken.
- In RW they are referred to as Starlight Swords.
- In Armor: Kursai-gama
Scythe with chain and a claw-like blade on the bottom.
- In her monk garb: Shakujo staff
- YST: Ran Sei Za – Translation: Storm Star Cut
- RW: Star Storm Scream
Note her ultimate attack seems to be water based as Kayura only performs it in or near water.
Huge waves of water funnel up and combine and reach towards the sky. Then five spots appear in the sky which transform to energy bolts that lash down to the earth. Each bolt then moves in towards its target, causing damage in their wake, and combine together. The combination forms a huge energy bolt toward the sky and a sonic blast of power outwards.
Powers / Abilities:
- Moving around quickly creating false duplicates of herself. She can also move and teleport about quickly.
- Typical energy concentration bubble when Kayura’s locked in combat with someone.
- Raining energy bolts down onto an enemy from her swords.
- If someone jump attack charges on Kayura, she can cause her enemy to stop and float in midair briefly.
- An energy bolt unleashes from the sky onto Kayura. She then crosses the top of her swords overhead. Kayura then swings them in an attack that sends out a powerful attack wave towards her target. This then launches her target into the sky in an energy ball.
- A stardust kind of attack.
It starts off by holding her right sword diagonally up before her, and her left sword diagonally behind her. The blades clash together and the attack covers her enemies in dust.
My personal theory:
It seems to aid in neutralizing attack cry powers. Or at least neutralize their ability to harm her. You see this in episode 28 before both Rowen’s/Touma’s attack and Ryo’s. As Kayura is standing in the middle of Ryo’s attack you can even see twinkling dust passing by, and again sparkling after the attack dissipates.
- Energy bolts attack.
This time Kayura has both of her swords diagonally positioned in front of her. Slight wind is drawn towards Kayura. Then the leaves that were floating to her become energy bolts that lash out both before Kayura and with her as she runs.
- Spinning swords energy attack.
Kayura (English dub), “Feel the scream from my starlight sword.” or “Feel the scream of my starlight sword.”
Attack starts off with Kayura flipping her swords, switching to an overhand position, and crossing them before her with the blades upwards. Kayura then goes about moving them back to blades facing downwards, crossing her arms before her upper chest. Finally she raises her arms and blades, uncrosses her swords and then holds them so that the handles overlap and she beings to spin them.
This creates a spiral of small energy lines. Kayura then leaps up while spinning the swords and unleashes vertical lines of energy power that attack her enemy.
Another version of this will launch horizontal beams of energy that bounce around. The end of each beam causes damage in multiple small areas. This can destroy infrastructure such as buildings and melt the tops of cars.
- The sound made when Ryo’s armor transforms into the Inferno/Kikoutei armor. And again when Ryo ‘absorbs’ the virtues of Rowen/Touma and the 3 Warlords/Mashou and breaks free.
- The light of the Ancient’s staff.
- The light from the Armor of Inferno/Kikoutei. (Especially after the Warlords/Mashou help summon the armor.)
Kanji Symbol or Essence of Humanity:
- YST: Ai (Love) – Note: This is only in the manga.
- YST: Masako Katsuki
(I found two different people listed on different websites. Not sure if both are correct. After all, perhaps one of them voiced young Kayura.)